It’s been 42 days since the first blooming (flowering) at our Xinisteri vineyards in Choulou village. At the moment our Xinisteri grapes are towards the end of the Fruit set stage. During this stage the grapes become bigger, the various acids are formed (Tartaric and Malic acid) but there is still no sugar produced.
There are three grape berry development stages.
Stage 1 – Fruit Set:
- Grapes start to swell
- Berries are firm
- Dark Green Color
- Acid increases fast
- At the end of this stage the seeds will reach their full size
Stage 2 – Lag Phase:
- Slow growth
- The seed starts to become hard
- Berries reach the highest level of acid
- Sugar starts to be formed
- The color becomes lighter green
Stage 3 – Fruit Maturation
- Start of color development
- The berries become softer
- Sugar increases fast
- Acid Declines
Xinisteri is an indigenous grape variety that has been cultivated in Cyprus for thousands of years. It has a relatively long grape development phase and is one of the last grape varieties to harvest. Harvest of Xinisteri usually starts during the second half of September so we still have a long way to go.
Amalthia, Dry White Wine
Katerina, Medium Sweet White Wine